Let’s face it, planning your wedding is not easy! Every little detail counts, so no host would want to compromise when it comes to arranging the picture-perfect wedding ceremony. With so many varieties of red wine available in the market, it is really hard to choose the best red wines for a wedding. Furthermore, each of them has a distinct flavor, aroma, and texture.
We have handpicked some of the best red wines for weddings that will complement the grand buffet on the most important day of your life. Also, do you know how much wine you’re going to need for your special day? Check out “How Much Wine Do You Need For Wedding” for tips now.
Why Choose Red Wines for Your Wedding Day?
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of the varieties of red wine you can serve at your wedding bar, we will tell you some quick facts on the health benefits it provides… if taken in moderation, of course.
- High in resveratrol, red wine helps in reducing the risk of heart attacks and other cardiovascular diseases.
- Losing your sleep worrying about high cholesterol? Pour yourself a glass! The procyanidins found in red wine can reduce LDL or bad cholesterol and increase HDL or good cholesterol.
- Rich in phenols, Red wine also aids in preventing blood clot and thereby reducing the risk of stroke.
Thinking of serving steak at your wedding?! Click on “What Wine Should I Drink With Steak” to see what you can pair your meats with.
What Season is Best for Red Wine?
Red wine like Shiraz, Malbec, and Merlot are the most popular picks for wedding throughout the year. However, with the introduction of new varieties in the market with different price ranges, more and more people are experimenting with new blends.
Your wedding season can influence the demand for Red wine among the attendees. For example, in summer, the crowd will prefer white wine. Medium-bodied red wine along with full-bodied white wines are top picks for Fall weddings. The demand for red wine at wedding ceremonies is at its peak during winter.
Best Red Wines for Wedding
Red Wines under $10 for Weddings
- Elsa Bianchi Malbec– This pocket-friendly wine with ripe fruit fragrance is ideal for all kinds of wedding meals.
- Los Cardos Cabernet Sauvignon– Young Argentinian Cabernet can be a really good choice if you’re going for something which is strong on wood with medium acidity.
- Ruffino Chianti– pleasant drink from Tuscany; made with good quality grapes and has high acidity. It has a well-balanced aroma of cherry, cocoa, and mint. You can serve it with some meat like a lamb or pork.
Red Wines between $10 and $15 for Weddings
- Bogle Petite Sirah– You can never go wrong with one of the finest quality of wine from California. Defined by dark fruits and strong oak, this one will definitely a crowd-pleaser if paired with beef and lamb.
- Meiomi Pinot Noir – The complexity of this pinot wine is rendered by the well-balanced flavor of blackberry, strawberry, and mocha. It has well-integrated oak and is an excellent choice for a glass of red wine in a wedding.
- Chateau Souverian Merlot– Originating from Alexander Valley, the rich and intense wine has won several awards and is highly recommended by critics.
- Kenwood Vineyards Zinfandel– This Zinfandel blend wine from Sonoma Valley has received worldwide appraisal by wine enthusiasts. The smooth finishing along with the palate of raspberry and plum makes it an excellent choice of wine if you’re opting to serve beef or poultry.
Red Wines between $15 and $20 for Weddings
- Kim Crawford Pinot Noir– If you are serving oily fish, like salmon, in your wedding then you should definitely go for this pinot wine. This fruity wine with new oak has a light and silky texture.
- Mas de Gourgonnier– Looking for a fruity and creamy wine with a dry palate? Originating in France, this organic wine can be served with red meat.
- Finca Villacreces Pruno– This full-bodied purple-colored Spanish wine is an all-time favorite among wine enthusiasts. It has a variety of flavors to complement a lavish wedding meal.
Red Wines between $20 and $30 for Weddings
- Côte du Rhône– Serve the finest quality of red wine from the Rhône to the crowd and they will not stop singing praises. Syrah is the most sought-after red wine originating from this region so stocking them for your wedding will definitely pay off.
- Cabernet Sauvignon- The dominance of Cabernet Sauvignon in the market is unparalleled. From black currant to graphite, almost all the flavors of this range of wine are crowd-pleasers. Try some samples of this range and choose your favorite for your big day. It goes well with grilled meat and dishes with a variety of spices and hot sauce in them.
- Westmount Pinot Noir– Within $30, this Westmount Pinot Noir is a safe bet for your wedding reception. It has a fresh aroma of cherries and raspberries along with dried flowers. The acidity does not hit immediately after consumption. Garnet colored and velvety-textured, this one is a top pick among wedding hosts.
Red Wines exceeding $30 for Weddings
- Trinity Hill Black Label Syrah Gimblett Gravels – If you are a fan of dark fruit flavored wine with a peppery aroma, you should definitely try Gimblett Gravels.
- Meerlust Rubicon– The spicy, earth and fruit flavor blend from South African is a good value for money. It can be served throughout the year.
- Cos Frappato – If you’re planning to serve some fine Italian wine on your big day, you should consider this velvety Sicilian wine. The fresh fruity flavored wine with soft flowery touches pairs well with beef or any other red meat.
Still cannot get enough of this elegant fruity drink? Celebrate a new beginning with your partner with a red wine-themed wedding. Deck up your wedding bar with assorted wine from all over the world as well to see the best red wine for weddings.
Before you go, we wanted to share this awesome opportunity to help you destress from wedding planning. Amazon Audible is offering all of our Wine on My Time community an exclusive offer of 2 FREE Ebooks when signing up for a free trial! You can sign up for a free trial here. Take a break from planning and unwind with your favorite book!
Wine on My Time is a resource blog for wine lovers all across the world! We take pride in delivering the best quality wine material for our readers. Check us out on Instagram and Pinterest for daily wine content!
Bottoms up! We’ll uncork ya later!! 🍷